What is an Advance Directive?
- A written statement of your wishes regarding your future health care decisions
- Legal instructions concerning your upcoming medical wishes
- Identifies someone as your representative whom you trust to make medical decisions for you should you become incapacitated
- A tool to communicate your health care preferences
- Advance directives can be changed anytime and they never expire
- The person you choose as your health care agent is authorized to speak for you only if you are unable to make medical decisions for yourself.
Why is Advance Directive so Important?
- It allows you to make a written plan regarding your health care preferences if or when you are unable to speak for yourself
- Permits you to state choices ahead of time
- Lessens the burden on loved ones
- Give you more control over what happens to you during times of a medical crisis
- Prevents medical over-treatment or under-treatment
- It gives your loved ones peace of mind
Back to Palliative